Mar 6, 2023 2:43 AM
A leaker has suggested that a new model of the Switch will be arriving at some point in the near future, alongside a graphical upgrade for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
- An anonymous leaker on 4chan who allegedly works for a "Pokémon outsourcing company" has claimed that they are currently working on a "graphics enhancement patch" for the "new Nintendo Switch models." The new model is said to release alongside "DLC2" for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
- Currently, it’s unknown if the reference to "DLC2" refers to the second part of the recently announced "Hidden Treasure of Area Zero" expansion that is expected in Winter 2023 or if it refers to the mysterious "Hexagon" DLC also mentioned in the post. This means the launch could be anywhere from late 2023 to early 2024.
- It's also unclear whether the new model will be an improved version of the current Switch, akin to the OLED, or a successor to the now six-year-old console. Given that a graphics enhancement patch is supposedly in the works, the latter seems more likely due to an expected increase in computing power.
- The leak was initially posted on February 23, ahead of Pokémon Day on February 27, but gained traction after a number of the claims proved to be true, including the introduction of Terapagos and the name of the upcoming "Hidden Treasure of Area Zero" DLC for Scarlet and Violet.
Other Nintendo news:
- Nintendo has now confirmed the rumors that it will not be attending this year’s E3. Reports of the company’s absence from the event began circulating in late January, but it has now come out to say that the show does not "fit" into its plans.
- Pokémon and Netflix are teaming up to bring an animated Pokémon series to the streaming platform titled Pokémon Concierge. The series will focus on a concierge helping Pokémon guests who stay at a holiday resort.
- Microsoft and Nintendo are now in a legally binding 10-year agreement to bring Xbox’s console titles to Nintendo platforms, including Activision’s Call of Duty.