Welcome to Mindf*ck Monday, a weekly newsletter that doesn’t suck. If you’re not already getting these in your inbox every week, well what the fuck?! Sign up below now.
1. Say “yes” until you have to say “no” - Early in your career, you need to jump into every opportunity you can get, so you say yes to everything. Even the things that seem kinda dumb or pointless or weird or inconvenient. You say yes and do them anyway. Because you never know what doors they will open.
Then, as you start building your skills and reputation, you begin to find yourself in situations where you have more opportunities than you need. This is when you begin to strategically start saying “no.”
By saying “no,” you're able to focus on the opportunities that present the biggest upside and you get even further, faster. Eventually, you arrive at a point where you are forced to say “no” to almost every opportunity. Congratulations. You have now “made it.”
The “say yes until you have to say no” principle doesn’t just work in business, but in many areas of life:
- If you move to a new city and want to make friends, say yes to everything until you’re so popular you can start saying no to invitations to the lamer parties.
- If you’re single and want to find a
Hey, sorry to interrupt…
I know you were reading that and getting all into it, but I’ve got to stop you here for a second. Because you seem to have somehow stumbled onto a subscriber-only article, and I hate to say it, but this shit ain't free.
(Already a member? Log in here.)
See, I write a bunch of big long sexy articles for everybody, those are probably some of the articles that you know and love. They are big and beautiful and long and full of funny cat GIFs. But sometimes when I want to diverge into a niche topic or dive deep on a specific problem my readers are having, I write something exclusively for my subscribers. Like this one.
You can read this extra content yourself too. You just have to subscribe. It's easy and takes 30 seconds.
Support the site and get access to the following:
- All the no-bullshit insights, new perspectives and poop jokes I have to offer. You get instant access to all articles on the site, including the 40+ exclusive subscriber-only articles.
- Listen on the go. I record audio versions of all articles, as well as audio commentaries with backstories and research. Members can stream and download all of them, so if you've ever wanted to hear me talk about Kant during a flight, this is your moment.
- Improve your relationships, conquer your fears, and build a better life. Once upon a time, I created a number of professionally-made, online video courses about relationships, anxiety and social skills. I sold them for $29.95 per month each, but now these and more are all included in the subscription:
- Dating & Relationships Course – Get insights about how to build a healthy and lasting relationship. 10 high-quality video lessons, with exercises.
- Connection Course – Learn how to become better at social interactions and have deeper conversations, leading to more fulfilling connections. 11 high-quality video lessons with exercises.
- Overcome Anxiety Course – Understand the root of your anxiety, and then overcome it. Using concepts from the most successful form of therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy. 8 high-quality video lessons with exercises.
- Blogging & Writing Course – A collection of videos, articles and other materials about my approach to writing and blogging. Recommended for people who are looking to start a book or blog themselves.
- Escape Plan: The Long-Term Travel Course – An extensive written course for people who want to travel long-term, but don’t know how yet. Create your own Escape Plan tailored to your budget and travel goals.
- Build a Better Life Course – A system I use to figure out what I want out of life, and how to get there. It's helped me to get where I am now. I recommend doing it at least once a year.
The membership includes 6 courses to improve your life:
Subscribing costs less than a cup of coffee in some places. And it’s what allows me to feed myself in between writing amazing shit for you. So please, feed me.